Since her emergence on the scene over 8 years ago, singer Tiwa Savage has grown to become one of the most sought after singers in Nigeria.
Here are 8 things you should know about the singer.
1. Tiwa Savage bagged a degree in Business Administration at the University of Kent. She again bagged a professional degree in music at 27
2. She joined her high school’s orchestra where she played the trombone for the group.
3. Tiwa was a backup vocalist for George Michael.
4. Tiwa took part in the 2006 edition of the UK’s X-Factor and made it to the final 24
5. She tied the knot with Tunji Balogun in July 2015. The marriage which produced a son, Jamal, has since ended over claims of infidelity and domestic abuse.
“Before Marriage, I didn’t know of his third child in Nigeria. A lot of people warned me about him, but I am going to say I made a mistake. In the beginning, everyone says you can’t leave the marriage because our culture frowns on it. I made a mistake, do I have to wait ten years, 15 years?
If I am not happy. And I was scared that if I ever find somebody else to marry me? That’s the misconception of our society. I don’t care if I ever get married again. I care about being happy for Jamil, I care about not walking on eggshells.
I do want a man that works, that will help me with my financial burden. He doesn’t have to be a millionaire or billionaire, but at least someone that helps, and won’t put me in more debt.”
“The marriage is finally over, it’s been over for a while, and I have covered up for a while. What happened was God-sent, and he made it easier for me to walk away with what he did on social media. He got so many people angrier, he pulled so many innocent people into this. Even his family. He made it easy for me to finally up and walk away.”
6. Tiwa is the first African female artist to be associated with the Pepsi brand
7. She has bagged awards like Channel O’ Music Video Award for the Most Gifted Female, Nigeria Entertainment Awards’ Female Artist of the Year, Nigeria Entertainment Awards’ Best Pop/R&B Artist of the Year
8. After 7 years with Mavin Records, Tiwa signed an exclusive global recording agreement with Universal Music Group (UMG).
Speaking on the deal, Tiwa said, “My biggest goal is to make Africa proud. I’m so excited for this moment and I’m thankful to Sir Lucian Grainge and my new UMG family for their belief in my dreams. I’m looking forward to this next chapter in my career and I’m more ready than I have ever been.”
Adam Granite, EVP Market Development, Universal Music Group said, “We are looking forward to partnering with Tiwa and her team to help her music reach new audiences around the world. As one of Africa’s most successful, influential and dynamic singer-songwriters, Tiwa has truly global ambitions and UMG is committed to helping her in achieving them.”